Junior Developer – 12 Month Placement 2020/21
Zing is focused on delivering projects using the amazing technology stack from Twilio. If you haven’t heard of them…you will soon. Twilio are fundamentally disrupting the communications industry, providing APIs for managing any type of communication; Voice, Video, SMS and since acquiring SendGrid, now also email. Any time you speak to an Uber driver, talk to an M&S Call Centre or receive a message from Netflix, that’s all powered by Twilio. Zing are the only 100% dedicated silver accredited Twilio partner in the UK and have already undertaken projects for organisations in many different industries. Our focus is now on building our team so that we can deliver high-profile, agile-development projects. Working as a Developer for Zing will expose you to a range of exciting opportunities and you’ll learn a set of skills in a technology stack that is going to be in high-demand for years to come.
Successful applicants can expect to gain a great deal of experience working through the full development cycle from systems analysis, through writing the code to testing and delivery. You’ll be working within a team of amazing developers and working directly with the CEO of the business unit. You’ll be playing a key role in delivering a wide range of exciting projects. On commencing your placement, you’ll receive nearly six weeks of training in all aspects of our development methodologies and most importantly, learning the Twilio stack. During your placement, you’ll also have access to a full MSDN subscription with a monthly personal allowance of Microsoft Azure credit to play around with for your own pet projects.
What You'll Be Doing
- Software Development – Using TypeScript with the React and Vue.js libraries to create components which will be used in applications for both our clients and internally. You’ll also be developing backend APIs for these applications to interact with, primarily using Microsoft .NET and the C# language.
- Cloud Services – We write software designed to be deployed and hosted on the cloud. Microsoft Azure is our cloud provider of choice, however we do also make use of services from other cloud providers, such as AWS, from time to time. A full solution can be made up of several different cloud services, from Web Apps to host APIs, Service Bus to decouple tasks, Functions to run schedule tasks, the list goes on. As part of your placement you’ll be involved in using these cloud services to build software that can scale to meet clients demands.
- Continuous Integration – We use Git as our source control system and develop CI/CD pipelines using tools such as VSTS (Visual Services Team Services) to automate our build and deployment processes. You’ll write unit tests for your code, both frontend and backend, that can run as part of these build pipelines.
- Agile Development – We use Scrum and Agile Development to deliver bespoke solutions around the Twilio Stack for our customers. You’ll be an active member of the development team, working with colleagues, customers and partners.
- Built to Build – We love building solutions, fast. We do it for our customers and the team often participate in development hacks, aimed at solving problems or delivering value within tight time frames.
What You'll Be Doing
- A passion for software development
- A desire to learn new technologies, improve existing skills & understand the business impact on the software development lifecycle
- Have knowledge of the following technologies for backend/API development: such as .NET Core, ASP.NET, C#, Node, Express. SQL using databases such as SQL Server, PostgreSQL, or MySQL. NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Redis, CouchDB.
- Any experience with the following technologies would be great but not required: Twilio, TypeScript, Visual Studio/Visual Studio Code, HTTPS protocols and IIS
- Currently studying for a degree in a relevant field